Friday, April 9, 2010

Book Review: The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

The Other Boleyn Girl, by Philippa GregoryThe Other Boleyn Girl is a book that has haunted me since the movie was released. Although I didn't see the film until after I had read the book (and thank goodness, too!), the book kept calling to me, mostly because I had heard the title and the concept sounded interesting -- the story of Anne Boleyn, told from the perspective of her sister.

Who doesn't know the story of Anne Boleyn, the woman who dethroned Catherine of Aragon and married King Henry VIII? It was Anne Boleyn who helped Henry to found the Church of England, and it was Anne who was the first executed wife of King Henry the VIII, put to death on charges of incest, adultery and treason.

The stories of the other Boleyns are less-told: George and Thomas, Mary and Elizabeth (Anne's Mother, not her daughter) are less well known. The Other Boleyn Girl begins to tell the story of Anne's siblings, Mary and George, and the relationships that they had with one another and with Anne.

In spite of my intense desire to read The Other Boleyn Girl, I was disturbed the idea that I believed the book would be dry. I pondered the length of the novel (nearly 700 pages) and the content (I am no a history buff by any means) and several times overlooked the book. I couldn't bring myself to spend the money on this novel.

When I ran into The Other Boleyn Girl at a used book store, however, I snatched it up eagerly and perhaps a bit greedily and read it promptly.

While Philippa Gregory takes some license with the story line regarding Mary, George and even Anne, I felt that this book was a wonderful, fast-paced and easy read. I was able to pick it up and put it down during waiting periods and still finished reading it within a week of having started the book.

I highly recommend The Other Boleyn Girl and look forward to reviewing other books in the Tudors series!

You can get your copy of The Other Boleyn Girl on Amazon
.

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory: 4 Star Reviewed and Rated

2 comments:

  1. The movie was wildly inaccurate (historically) and fabulously entertaining, so maybe I'll pick up the book too. I'm currently reading The Witching Hour by Anne Rice (her books, and she herself, fascinate me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I missed this comment before! LOL

    The book is quite inaccurate from a historical point of view as well, but it was much more entertaining than the movie was :)

    ReplyDelete