Friday, April 9, 2010

Book Review: The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck

The Christmas Sweater, by Glenn Beck
The Christmas Sweater was a beautiful and timely read for me, not only because I read this book at the holiday season, but because the book spoke directly to my heart and reminded me of things that I had yet to learn in my own spiritual journey. I needed this book and am very happy that I found it in the time frame in which I did.

Based on a true story, The Christmas Sweater tells of how the fictional character of Eddie experiences a Christmas when he is twelve years old. It is a Christmas in which Eddie desperately wants a new bike and is certain that the bike will be his. It is the story of a boy's disappointment when instead he receives “A stupid, handmade, ugly sweater that wasn’t a bike.”

The Christmas Sweater is a moving and emotional book, much as I expected it to be. The short novel reminded me to treasure the things that are important in life, such as family, friends and faith, but the book, and the journey that Eddie (a representative of Glenn Beck) takes is transcendent.

This book touched me especially because I am a knitter, and this year I am working on making all of my Christmas gifts for friends and family by hand. While I know that my friends and family will appreciate these gifts because they are either old enough to have developed an appreciation or too young to know the difference, I can feel strongly for Eddie's mother in the story, and understand how she must have felt when her son rejected her heartfelt gift.

Anyone who has been poor (either as a parent or as a youngster) or who has lost a parent at a young age will be able to connect with Eddie and his family. It is difficult not to fall in love with these characters and to want to reach out to them personally.

I found The Christmas Sweater to be a heartfelt and realistic representation of a family experiencing difficult times emotionally and financially. I felt that it was difficult to separate myself from the fact that this was a true story, with some names and details changed enough to make this a work of fiction and to afford the element of fantasy to the story.

Glenn Beck is, as always, amazing. This book was written in such a heart felt way that it was possible for me to read the book as though I could hear him reading it to me. The Christmas Sweater was certainly well written and well voiced.

This book is an easy, breezy read. If you're anything like me, you will find it difficult to put down. I finished reading The Christmas Sweater in less than two days (and I'm a slow reader).

I believe that most readers will enjoy The Christmas Sweater, by Glenn Beck. This is an all-round inspirational book and an easy (and quick!) read that will touch your heart.

You can get your copy of The Christmas Sweater at Amazon.

The Christmas Sweater: 4 Star Reviewed and Rated

No comments:

Post a Comment