Friday, April 30, 2010

Book Beginnings On Friday: Shutter Island

"I haven't laid eyes on the island in several years."
Page 1, Sentence 1 of Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane.

Because I don't want to leave you there, I'd rather supply you with the entire first paragraph, which was certainly enough to get my attention and make me interested in reading more of the book. While not the strongest first paragraph of a book I've ever read, the imagery is quite nice.

"I haven't laid eyes on the island in several years. The last time was from a friend's boat that ventured into the outer harbor, and I could see it off in the distance, past the inner ring, shrouded in the summer haze a careless smudge of paint against the sky."
The first paragraph (of the prologue) gives you a definite feeling for the tone of the book, and the entire prologue really made me want to continue reading. A fairly good start, all in all.

Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

10 comments:

  1. Last year, I watched the TV mini-series "Shutter Island" and I was very confused. Maybe the book is better?

    By the way, my copy of Heart Mender has not yet arrived. :( I emailed Booksneeze and I haven't heard from them, so I'm not sure what's going on. They claimed to have mailed it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so far, Melissa :( It took me a while to get through the first chapter, not because it was confusing but because it's just kind of... Well, strange. We'll see how it goes later when I'm more alert and the real story is starting.

    In either case, you can trust my review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I'd like this or not. I may watch the movie first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually really liked that first sentence. It was short but strong. I have been fluctuating a lot about whether I want to read this book or not, but having read the quotes that you have used, I am leaning more towards wanting to read it now so thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids saw the movie . . . I didn't. Not sure it interests me.

    JHS
    Colloquium

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read half the book today. I guess that says something. Not sure I'll have time to finish it tomorrow (probably not) but nobody's going to have to wait long for a review on this one: it's short.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this on my shelf, I might take it on holiday with me, its hard not reading any spoilers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know! I've had to avoid all networking sites while I'm getting through the book, because even the summary on Goodreads is a bit of a spoiler. Good GRIEF!

    I'm halfway through it now though, so shouldn't be long before the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look forward to the review. I have an award for you here

    http://cat-bookmagic.blogspot.com/2010/05/suddenly-sunday.html

    ReplyDelete