Saturday, April 24, 2010

Book Review: Glenn Beck's Common Sense, by Glenn Beck

Title: Glenn Beck's Common Sense: The Case Against an Out-of-Control Government, Inspired by Thomas Paine
Author: Glenn Beck
Pages: 174
Format: Paperback
Genre: Government/Politics
Star Rating: 5/5
Network: Goodreads | Shelfari | Librarything
Buy: Amazon

My Summary: Glenn Beck's Common Sense is a straightforward look at the policies of the American Government. Based on the original document penned by Thomas Paine, Glenn Beck offers Americans an opportunity to return to our common sense roots while illustrating the faults in the current logic being used by politicians in Washington.

My Thoughts: I am generally a fan of Glenn Beck and try to take time out every day to watch his program on Fox News. I agree with his conservative viewpoints and his assertions. Regardless, this book wasn't quite what I expected from him.

In Glenn Beck's Common Sense, Beck doesn't attack one political party or the other: instead, he makes a case against the out-of-control spending currently going on in Washington. Although he is a libertarian, Glenn Beck evenhandedly attacks both political parties, including George W. Bush and Barack Obama. 

While I don't agree with everything that he said in this book (for example, a three party system would likely fail in the United States), I believe that he has done well to bring common sense back to the masses, if they are willing to read his book with an open mind.

Every American should read this book, including the second half, which is the original writing by Thomas Paine.

3 comments:

  1. Normally, I don't read non-fiction books of a political nature, but after your review,I could make an exception for Glen Beck's Common Sense. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I'm the same way. I don't read a lot of political books because frankly I'm surrounded by politics daily. My husband is on the board of a local PAC and focuses on news almost constantly.

    But I do love Glenn Beck, generally speaking :D

    This book is so short that it makes it worth the read. Without the half that is Thomas Paine's original work it's just over 100 pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love him. I appreciate someone who is willing to stand up to both sides.

    ReplyDelete